Welcome to year 6 Hazel class.
Curriculum letter September 2017
7th September 2017
Welcome back to the new school year! As we all start to settle back into the ‘swing’ of school, it’s a good time to let you know what is planned for Year 6 during the Autumn term.
Next week is the Ten Parishes art festival so we will be immersing ourselves in the festival and taking part in all things ‘arty’. On Tuesday we will be walking out and about in Wivey to see some of the amazing art work that is on display. If you would like to come with us, do tag along! We hope to replicate some of the work that we see through the week based on our individual interests.
Curriculum – our topic experiences this term will be:
- 18th Sept – 20th October – Changes in social history, focussing on leisure and entertainment in the 20th Century to include fashion, music and art as well as notable key events. Your child will need a plain white t-shirt to draw on their own design using fabric pastels replicating fashion from a particular time (please send labelled to school for 2nd October) – you are invited to watch a cat walk display of their t-shirt designs on Friday 20th October at 9 am and to listen to a presentation where they share the facts that they have learned.
- 30th Oct – 3rd Nov – Spooky writing- please send your child with a pumpkin on Tuesday 31st October so that we can carve them and light them during our spooky writing session.
- 6th Nov – 1st December – Humans, diet and exercise. The children will learn how to cook a vegetable soup or healthy meal during this topic. More details to follow and invites to help
- 4th Dec – 15th December – What’s it like to belong to a religion? Focussing on Christmas and the festivals associated with it. Practising for Christmas Carol Concert.
- 18th – 22nd December – Computer Programming
English – Reading. Children will arrive home today with their AR book. Please help your child by listening to them read 3-4 times per week and do write a comment in their green Home Learning Log book (previously green reading record log book) – I will look at these books regularly so they can double up as a home communication book.
English – Spelling
I shall be sending out spellings on a Monday for the children to learn at home. Spelling is one area of the SATs that is tested and is also a weighted feature in the writing element. Children who can spell relatively easily, find writing easier so we must help them as much as we can. This year I shall be testing the children on their spellings so please do spend some time over the week helping them to learn them.
Mathematics – Times tables, number understanding and developing a good reasoning approach to mathematics is our main focus. We know that if children have a rapid recall of their tables, they will be become confident mathematicians. You can help your child to understand maths in real-life contexts by getting them involved in shopping, reading scale, reading time and measuring. At the start of each day, there will be a different maths challenge on the board for the children to have a go at.
PGL Residential Trip
I have booked an exciting trip for the end of year to the PGL at Barton Hall Wed May 23rd – Fri May 25th please see their website for more information http://www.pgl.co.uk/ I think that this will give the children something special to look forward to. Details next week.
Key Stage 2 SATs take place week commencing Monday 14th May and finish on Thursday 17th May 2018 please make sure that your child is in school for the whole week. You will be invited to school to meet as a group to look at the requirements of the tests so that you can support your child and to address any concerns or questions that you might have. This is normally scheduled during January.
PE sessions are on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Can I also remind you of my role as Deputy Headteacher. To fulfil this role, I have management non-contact time. In my absence, the children will be taught by Mr Phillips (PE), Mrs Berry, Mrs Johnson and Mrs Geary (French). Although I am not in the classroom, I am normally in school and available if required. Finally, as you are aware, I will be leaving WPS at Christmas so we must make sure that this term is productive and very enjoyable for all of us! For this to happen, please do let me know if you have any concerns about anything so that we can work together to make sure that your child enjoys their Year 6 experience.
I look forward to working with all of you over this autumn term,
Dates for diary:
KS2 SATs 14-17th May 2018
PGL Residential Trip 23-25th May 2018
Topic presentation Friday 20th October at 9 am (Hazel classroom)